1950 – In September 1950, Bethlehem Lutheran Church Extension began Sunday school and Worship services in the Coffey School in Detroit, with Rev. Henry Aukee as interim pastor.
1951 – In the fall of 1951 Pastor Melvin Hagelberg began work as Mission Developer.
Services moved to Emerson School in Detroit and a parsonage was purchased.
The Northwest Mission was organized.
1953 – Dec.13, Northwest Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized with a charter membership of 295 adults; Pastor Melvin Hagelberg called as Emmanuel’s first pastor.
1956 – July 10, ground-breaking for a new church building in Southfield.
1957 - June 16, first worship service in new church building; a dedication service was held on October 17th.
1958 – June, hosted National Suomi Synod Convention
1962 – Emmanuel joined the LCA and dropped “Northwest” from its name.
1965 – February 7, Rev. Donald Muehlnickel called to be Emmanuel’s second pastor.
The parsonage in Detroit was sold and a new parsonage was built on Plum Hollow Street.
A pipe organ, audio system and new room dividers for the fellowship hall were purchased and installed. The chancel was renovated and the parking lot was paved.
1967 – May 21, new parsonage dedicated
1968 – Pastor William Graf served as Vicar at Emmanuel; Under his leadership a strong youth program was developed.
1971 – February 14, new Wick pipe organ dedicated
1973 – Major remodeling and renovation program completed
1976 – October 10, Rev. L. Alden Erlandson called to be Emmanuel’s third pastor
1978 – Silver Anniversary Celebration
1986 – Emmanuel began using a computer for church membership and financial records.
1988 – 35th Anniversary Celebration
1989 – Emmanuel became part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
1991 – July 14, Rev. Roland Troike, Jr. called to be Emmanuel’s fourth pastor
1995 – Emmanuel entered the Stephen Ministry program.
1996 – Elevator dedicated
2000 – Summer – Pastor Troike’s sabbatical; accessible bathroom constructed.
2002 – Peace Garden dedicated
2003 - June 8 – Dedication of new Hand
50th Anniversary Celebration.
July – Rev. John Freed began to serve as supply pastor until the end of the year.
2004 – Rev. Michael Rothgery, interim pastor from January 2004 – June 2005.
2005 – Pastor David Maddox II called as
our 5th pastor, June 27, 2005 and was installed on July 17, 2005.
Established a ministry for the residents living at the Fountains of Southfield
The food pantry to assist the needy was revitalized
Holy Communion began to be celebrated every Sunday.
2006 – Nursery/Multi-purpose room constructed
by John and Craig Moilanen families and crew;
Front steps to the church repaired.
2007 – October, new Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnals began to be used
2008 – The Community Garden was established in cooperation with the Southfield Garden Club.
2010 – April 18 - Pastor David Maddox II left Emmanuel for a new call; Emmanuel began the process of
searching for a new pastor.
June -- Pastor Dellis W. Hudson began as Interim Pastor
December -- The Kitchen floor was retiled for the first time since the building was built.
2011 – May -- Pastor Dellis W.
December 2011 – Christmas Caroling for the homebound resumed after many years.
2012 – March -- Pastor Stanley
Eckermann began as Interim Pastor
August -- Pastor Stanley Eckermann left;
Vicar Jackie Rau started as as Emmanuel's full time Pastor
September 23, 2012 Vicar Jackie Rau Ordained at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Livonia.
2013 – November 24 -- Celebrated 60 years serving the Southfield area by hosting an evening meal and concert with the folk group "At Average".
2014 – Monthly Lunch and Learn programs started.
A land survey was ordered to prepare for the possible sale of the parsonage property.
2015 – Parsonage property offered for sale.
2016 – Parsonage property sold.
2017 – Resurfaced parking lot
2018 – April Pastor Jackie Rau left
July -- Pastor Jill Heather called by the Southeast Michigan Synod to serve as transitional pastor
2019 -- September -- Hosted Finn Fest USA and celebrated with a full church our Finnish beginnings