Our History

We hope you find your way here!

 

Home
Staff
Our History
Statement of Faith
Emmanuel's Voice
Calendar
Photo Galleries



         

Emmanuel's History

   

1950In September 1950, Bethlehem Lutheran Church Extension began Sunday school and Worship services in Coffey  School in Detroit, with Rev. Henry L. Aukee as interim pastor. 

1951In the fall of 1951 Pastor Melvin E. Hagelberg began work as Mission Developer.
   Services moved to Emerson School in Detroit and a parsonage was purchased.
  The
Northwest Mission was organized. 

1953 – Dec.13,  Northwest Emmanuel  Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized with a charter membership of 295 adults; Pastor Melvin E. Hagelberg called as Emmanuel’s first pastor.

1956 – July 10, ground-breaking for a new church building in Southfield.

1957 - June 16, first worship service in new church building; a dedication service was held on Oct. 17th.

1958June, hosted National Suomi Synod Convention 

1962Emmanuel joined the LCA and dropped “Northwest” from its name.

1965February 7, Rev. Donald W. Muehlnickel called to be Emmanuel’s second pastor.
 
The parsonage in Detroit  was sold and a new parsonage was built on Plum Hollow Street.
  A pipe organ, audio system and new room dividers for the fellowship hall were purchased and installed.
  The chancel was renovated and the parking lot was paved. 

1967May 21, new parsonage dedicated.

1968Pastor William A. Graf served as Vicar at Emmanuel. Under his leadership a strong youth program was developed. 

1971February 14, new Wick pipe organ dedicated.

1973Major remodeling and renovation program completed.

1976October 10, Rev. L. Alden Erlandson called to be Emmanuel’s third pastor. 

1978Silver Anniversary Celebration. 

1986Emmanuel enters the “Computer Age”, using a computer for church membership and financial records. 

198835th Anniversary Celebration. 

TOP

1989Emmanuel becomes part of the E.L.C.A. 

1991July 14, Rev. Roland C. Troike, Jr. called to be Emmanuel’s fourth pastor.

1995Emmanuel enters the Stephen Ministry program. 

1996Elevator dedicated.

2000Summer – Pastor Troike’s sabbatical.
  Handicap bathroom constructed. 

2002Peace Garden dedicated. 

2003 - June 8, 2003 – Dedication of new Hand bells.
  50th Anniversary Celebration.
 
July, 2003 – Rev. Troike takes a call and goes to St. Peter's in St. Claire,  MI.
  Rev. John Freed comes to serve as supply pastor until the end of the year. 

2004 – Rev. Michael Rothgery, interim pastor from January 2004 – June 2005.

2005Pastor David O. Maddox II arrives as our 5th pastor, June 27, 2005.
  His installation service is held on July 17, 2005. 
  Established a ministry for the residents living at the Fountains of Southfield. 
  The food pantry to assist the needy was revitalized. 
  Holy Communion began to be administered every Sunday. 

2006Nursery- Multi-purpose room constructed by John and Craig Moilanen Families and crew
.
  Front steps to the church are repaired. 

2007October, new hymnals arrive. 

2008The Community  Garden is established in cooperation with the Southfield Garden Club.

2010April 18, 2010 - With many tearful goodbyes, Pastor David O. Maddox II leaves Emmanuel for a new call in his hometown of Philadelphia, PA.  We once again begin the process of searching for a new pastor.
   June 2010 -
Pastor Dellis W. Hudson joins us as Interim Pastor
   December 2010 - The Kitchen floor is retiled for the first time since the building was built.

2011May 2011 Pastor Dellis W. Hudson leaves us as Interim Pastor
   December 2011
Christmas Caroling to the shut-ins resumes after many years. 

2012 March 2012 Pastor Stanley Eckermann joins us as Interim Pastor
   August 2012 Pastor Stanley Eckermann leaves us as Interim Pastor and Vicar Jackie Rau starts as as our full time pastor.
   September 23, 2012 Vicar Jackie Rau is Ordained as Pastor at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Livonia.

2013 November 24, 2013  We celebrated 60 years serving the Southfield area by hosting an evening meal and concert with the folk group "At Average".

2014 Monthly Lunch and Learn sessions are started.
            A land survey was ordered to prepare for the possible sale of the parsonage property.

2015 Parsonage property offered for sale.

2016 Parsonage property sold.

2017 Resurfaced parking lot
            More to come...

   

TOP

This site was last updated 03/19/17